- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 45 mins
- Serves 4
- 21 x 375g block all butter puff pastry*
- 1 ⅓ cups caster sugar or golden sugar
- 75g chilled butter, chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- 6 Granny smith apples, peeled, halved and quartered lengthways
- Vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- STEP 1 Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Place pastry on a board and using a plate as a guide, cut a 26cm round from the pastry.
- STEP 2 Place sugar into a 23cm (base measurement) ovenproof frying pan. Heat over low-medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil. Cook, without stirring, for 8-10 minutes until deep golden in colour. Remove pan from heat and carefully stir in butter and salt.
- STEP 3 Carefully arrange apples round-side-down in the sugar mixture. Top apples with pastry and fold edges under to tuck in the apples. Using a sharp knife, cut a small cross into the centre of the pastry. Place the frying pan onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges with a blunt knife then carefully turn out the tarte tartin onto a serving plate. Slice and serve with vanilla ice-cream.
*Note, alternatively, join 2 sheets of ready rolled puff pastry and cut out a 26cm round