Roasted Root Vegetables with Fennel Garlic and Thyme
- 2 (about 300g) parsnips, peeled, quartered lengthways
- 3 (about 350g) beetroot bulbs, peeled, cut into 6 wedges
- 3 (about 450g) carrots, peeled, cut into 3cm lengths
- 1 (about 300g) turnip, peeled, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 (about 550g) celeriac, peeled, cut into 3cm chunks
- 1 or 2 baby (about 400g) fennel bulbs, trimmed, cut lengthways into 1cm-thick slices
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 16 sprigs fresh thyme
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Step 2: Combine the parsnips, beetroot, carrots, turnip, celeriac, fennel, garlic, oil, salt and lots of pepper to taste in a large bowl. Toss with hands to combine and coat vegetables well.
- Step 3: Spread evenly in a large roasting pan. Roast in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Step 4: Meanwhile, combine vinegar and sugar in a small bowl and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Step 5: Remove vegetables from oven and pour vinegar mixture evenly over top. Sprinkle with thyme and use a large metal spoon to toss well and distribute thyme evenly.
- Step 6: Return vegetables to oven. Roast for a further 15 minutes or until just tender.