- Active Time 30 mins
- Serves 4 TO 6 SERVINGS
- 2 pounds medium parsnips, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mixed fresh herbs (such as tarragon, flat-leaf parsley, and chives)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- STEP 1 - Preheat oven to 400°. Toss parsnips with 1 Tbsp. oil in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Arrange parsnips in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until tender and lightly caramelized, 22–25 minutes.
- STEP 2 - Meanwhile, pulse walnuts and herbs in a mini-processor until very finely chopped. (Alternatively, crush walnuts and herbs with a mortar and pestle to form a coarse paste.) Add remaining 2 Tbsp. oil and lemon juice and pulse to combine. Season pesto to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- STEP 3 - Let parsnips cool slightly, then transfer to a blender. Add stock; purée until smooth. Pour soup into a large saucepan and heat over medium heat until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper and divide among bowls. Drizzle with pesto and serve.