- Prep 30 mins
- Cook 50 mins
- Serves 4-6 as a side dish
- 400g plump chestnuts*
- 700g small Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 125g smoked shortcut bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- grated parmesan, to serve
- STEP 1 - Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Using a small sharp knife, cut a shallow cross into the flat side of the chestnut shells. Place into a heavy-based roasting pan. Roast for 20 minutes or until shells split open and chestnuts are tender. Transfer chestnuts onto a clean tea-towel, wrap and set aside for 10 minutes.
- STEP 2 - Place Brussels sprouts and bacon into the roasting pan. Combine oil, garlic and lemon zest in a bowl and mix to combine. Drizzle oil mixture over Brussels sprouts and bacon. Toss to combine. Roast, tossing once, for 25-30 minutes until Brussel sprouts are tender and charred around the edges.
- STEP 3 - While the sprouts are cooking, peel the chestnuts then remove the papery skin.
- STEP 4 - Toss the chestnuts through the Brussels sprout mixture and roast for 5 minutes. Serve with grated parmesan.
*For ease, look for easy to peel chestnuts.