Parsnip and Gruyere Crumble
- 80g butter
- 1kg parsnips, peeled, halved, coarsely chopped
- 400g Desiree potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped (see note)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 80ml (1/3 cup) water
- Sea salt flakes
- 150g Italian-style bread, crusts removed, cut into 1cm pieces
- 125g gruyere, coarsely grated
- 2 1/2 tbs chopped fresh continental parsley
- Step 1: Melt half the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Add the parsnip and potato. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes or until the vegetables start to soften. Add the milk and water. Bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 20 minutes or until vegetables are very soft and the liquid is absorbed. Mash until smooth. Season with sea salt and pepper. Spoon the parsnip mixture into an 18 x 30cm (base measurement) baking dish.
- Step 2: Preheat oven to 180°C. Melt remaining butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Place the bread in a heatproof bowl. Add the butter and toss to combine. Stir in the gruyere and parsley. Top the parsnip mixture with the bread mixture. Bake for 35 minutes or until the bread is golden and the gruyere melts.