Nectarine and almond layered pavlova
- 8 egg whites
- 315g (1 1/2 cups) caster sugar
- 200g slivered almonds
- 1 x 300ml ctn thin cream
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 6 nectarines, halved, stones removed, cut into thin wedges
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Step 1 :Preheat oven to 150°C. Line 3 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Draw a 20cm-diameter disc on each piece of non-stick baking paper.
- Step 2 :Use an electric beater to whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until firm peaks form. Gradually add the caster sugar, 1 tablespoonful at a time, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is thick and glossy. Gently fold the almonds through the meringue mixture. Spoon the meringue mixture among the 3 prepared discs and use the back of a spoon to smooth the surfaces. Bake in oven, swapping the trays halfway through cooking, for 40 minutes or until the meringues are crisp and dry. Turn oven off. Leave the meringues in the oven, with the door ajar, for 1 hour to cool completely.
- Step 3 :Meanwhile, use a clean electric beater to whisk together the cream and brown sugar in a medium bowl until firm peaks form.
- Step 4 :Place 1 meringue disc on a cake stand or serving plate. Spread with one-third of the cream mixture. Top with half of the nectarine. Continue layering with the remaining meringue discs, cream and nectarine, finishing with the cream mixture. Dust with icing sugar to serve.