- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 25 mins
- Serves 4
This healthy light soup teams well with the crunchy parmesan croutons.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 leek, trimmed, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g mixed mushrooms*, trimmed and sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 sprigs lemon thyme
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 30g baby spinach leaves
- 1⁄4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- Parmesan croutons
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 thick slices sourdough bread, roughly torn into bite-sized pieces
- *Use a mixture of Shiitake, King Brown, Portabella and small flat mushrooms
- STEP 1 - To make croutons, preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Place oil and parmesan in a bowl. Add bread and toss to coat. Arrange bread in a single layer on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- STEP 2 - Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 4-5 minutes until tender. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes until just softening.
- STEP 3 - Add stock, thyme and chickpeas. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and gently bring to the boil. Stir through spinach and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle soup into serving bowls and serve with parmesan croutons.