- Preparation 20 mins
- Cooking 40 mins
- Serves 4-6
These warming Irish-style mashed potatoes sometimes called Colcannon is simply delicious!
- 1 kg brushed potatoes, peeled and cut into 5cm pieces
- 200g kale (about 4-5 stems)
- 200ml hot reduced fat milk
- 60g butter or margarine
- 2 green onions (shallots), trimmed and thinly sliced
- STEP 1 Place potatoes into a large saucepan, cover with water and season with salt. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat then reduce heat and gently boil for 20-25 minutes until tender. Drain and set aside in a colander for 2-3 minutes to dry. Meanwhile, wash kale, remove leaves from stems and shred leaves. Place chopped leaves into a microwave safe dish, cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes until tender. Drain and set aside. Return potatoes to the saucepan and mash until smooth.
- STEP 2 Combine hot milk and butter or margarine. Gradually, add to potato mash, beating with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy. Stir through kale and green onions. Season to salt and pepper to taste and serve.