- Prep 30 mins + chilling time
- Cook 30 mins
- Serves 4 Person
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g firm ricotta cheese, crumbled
- 2 mandarins, rind finely zested *
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbs milk
- grape seed oil, for frying
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- Greek-style natural yoghurt
- ¾ cup mandarin juice (about 5 mandarins)
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 2 mandarins, segmented and pith removed
- STEP 1 Using electric hand-beaters, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl for 2 minutes until light and creamy. Add ricotta and mandarin zest and mix until smooth.
- STEP 2 Sift flour and baking powder over the ricotta mixture. Add milk and using a large metal spoon, stir to form a smooth batter. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- STEP 3 While the batter is chilling, make the mandarin syrup. Place mandarin juice, lime juice and sugar into a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil, and cook, without stirring, for 5 minutes until reduced by a third and syrupy. Stir through mandarin segments.
- STEP 4 Heat enough oil to deep-fry the doughnuts in a medium saucepan until hot (about 175°C). Using about 2 tbs of the ricotta mixture per doughnut, deep-fry doughnuts in batches for 4-5 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden and puffed.
- STEP 5 Drain doughnuts on paper towel then dust with icing sugar. Serve doughnuts with the mandarin syrup.