Lamb and quince tagine
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1.8kg boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 100g quince paste
- 750ml (3 cups) water
- 750g sweet potato (kumara), peeled, cut into 4cm pieces
- 60g (1/3 cup) blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- Step 1: Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil, lamb and onion. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until lamb starts to brown.
- Step 1: Add cayenne pepper, ground coriander, cinnamon and ginger. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until aromatic. Add quince paste and water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until the lamb is tender.
- Step 1: Add the sweet potato. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes or until sweet potato is soft and liquid thickens slightly.
- Step 1: Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the almonds and cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes or until golden.
- Step 1: Sprinkle with the almonds and fresh coriander to serve.