Frozen almond creams with peaches and cherries in dessert wine
- 150g whole blanched almonds, toasted, roughly chopped
- 275g (1 1/4 cups) caster sugar
- 7 egg whites, plus 1 extra
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200ml thickened cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 60g (3/4 cup) flaked almonds
- 3 peaches, peeled, halved, stoned, each cut into 8 wedges
- 30g butter
- 18 cherries
- 125ml (1/2 cup) dessert wine
- Step 1: Process almonds and 55g (1/4 cup) sugar in a food processor until finely ground. Using an electric mixer, whisk 7 egg whites to soft peaks, gradually add 55g (1/4 cup) sugar and vanilla, and whisk to firm peaks. Gently fold in almond mixture and whipped cream.
- Step 2: Place six 5cm-deep x 6cm diameter ring moulds on a baking paper-lined oven tray and fill with mixture, or use six 180ml (3/4-cup) capacity moulds. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Step 3: Preheat oven to 180°C. Combine flaked almonds, 55g (1/4 cup) sugar and extra egg white in a bowl and spread onto a baking paper-lined oven tray. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, or until golden. Cool on tray, then break into small, irregular pieces.
- Step 4: Toss peaches with remaining 110g (1/2 cup) sugar in a bowl. Heat butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add peaches and cook for 1 minute each side or until caramelised. Add cherries and wine, and simmer until sauce thickens. Transfer to a bowl to cool slightly.
- Step 5: To serve, rub a hot cloth around ring moulds to loosen filling, then place on plates and lift rings away. Top each almond cream with some of the fruit mixture and place a little more to the side, then scatter with almond clusters.