- Prep 30 mins + chilling time
- Cook 35 mins
- Serves 6
- 2 1/3 cups plain flour
- 2 tbs icing sugar mixture + extra for dusting
- Pinch salt
- 200g chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup (approx.) iced water
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 750g fresh mixed berries (like hulled strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and mulberries)
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
- cream or ice-cream, to serve
- STEP 1 - To make pastry, place flour, icing sugar and salt into a food processor. Process to combine. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add water and pulse until mixture comes together into a ball. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- STEP 2 - Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Roll the pastry out between 2 sheets of baking paper to form a 35cm circle (leave the pastry edge untrimmed). Transfer pastry to a baking tray lined with baking paper. Lightly brush pastry with eggwhite. Sprinkle with almond meal, leaving a 6cm border around edge.
- STEP 3 - Arrange berries on the pastry, leaving a 6cm border. Sprinkle berries with caster sugar. Fold the pastry border over the berries (leaving centre berries exposed). Brush pastry with beaten egg. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until pastry is crisp and golden. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Dust with icing sugar. Slice and serve with cream or ice-cream.