Duck and mandarin cups
- 1.7kg frozen whole duck, thawed
- 1 tbs Chinese five spice
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 3 spring onions (shallots), trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 mandarin, peeled, finely chopped
- 60ml (1/4 cup) mandarin juice
- 1 tbs rice vinegar
- 1 tbs light olive oil
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 12 small baby cos lettuce leaves
- 55g (1/3 cup) roasted salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 220C. Prick the duck all over with a skewer. Rub with Chinese five spice and salt. Place, breast-side down, on an oven rack in a roasting pan. Pour water into the pan to come 5cm up the sides. Roast for 30 minutes. Turn. Roast, breast-side up, for 1 hour or until the skin is crispy. Cool slightly. Discard the bones and fat. Finely chop the meat and skin and place in a bowl. Add the spring onion and mandarin.
- Step 2 Combine the mandarin juice, vinegar, oil, soy sauce and chilli flakes in a small jug. Pour over the duck mixture and toss well to combine.
- Step 3 Arrange the lettuce leaves on a platter. Divide the duck mixture among leaves. Top with peanuts.