- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 10 mins
- Makes 8
- 175g fresh ricotta
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- 8 female zucchini flowers, stamens removed*
- 2 tbs self-raising flour
- Vegetable, grape seed or rice bran oil, for frying
- Sea salt, extra mint leaves and lemon wedges, to serve
- 1 cup cornflour
- ½ cup self-raising flour
- 1¾ cups iced water
* Female zucchini flowers have a baby zucchini attached to the flower. Gently open the flower and pull out the centre stamen.
- STEP 1 - To make the batter, combine cornflour, flour and iced water in a bowl. Mix with a knife until just combined (the mixture will be lumpy). Set aside for 10 minutes.
- STEP 2 - Meanwhile, combine ricotta, lemon zest and mint in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Spoon 1 tbs ricotta mixture into each zucchini flower and twist petals to enclose the filling.
- STEP 3 - Place flour into a shallow bowl. Pour oil into a large frying pan until 5cm deep. Heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Lightly dust the zucchini flowers in flour then dip into the batter to lightly coat. Cook zucchini flowers in 2 batches, turning occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Drain on a rack lined with paper towel. Serve with sea salt, mint leaves and lemon wedges.