- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 1 hr 05 mins
- Serves 4
- 400ml light coconut milk
- 400ml milk
- 70g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 1 whole star anise
- 110g (1/2 cup) white medium-grain rice
- 15g (1/4 cup) flaked coconut
- 1 lime
- 1 custard apple
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- STEP 1 - Place the combined milk, caster sugar and star anise in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- STEP 2 - Bring to the boil. Stir in the rice and cover. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until rice is tender and liquid has absorbed.
- STEP 3 - Meanwhile, place the coconut in a frying pan over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until toasted.
- STEP 4 - Use a zester to remove the rind from the lime. (Alternatively, use a vegetable peeler to peel the rind from the lime. Use a small sharp knife to remove the white pith from the rind. Cut the rind into very thin strips.)
- STEP 5 - Cut the custard apple in half and remove the thin segments of flesh. Remove and discard the seeds. Place the custard apple segments in a bowl. Add the lime rind and toss to combine.
- STEP 6 - Divide the rice mixture among serving dishes and sprinkle with brown sugar. Top with the custard apple mixture. Sprinkle with the coconut to serve.