- Prep Prep 30mins + cooling time
- Cook 10 mins
- Serves 6
Use a good quality coffee for this recipe.
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 kg plump cherries, stems removed
- 315g loaf unsliced Madeira cake, cut into cubes
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened espresso black coffee, cooled
- 250g mascarpone
- 2 cups thick natural yoghurt
- 100ml Tia Maria liqueur
- 2 tbs icing sugar
- 50g coarsely grated dark chocolate, to serve
- 10–12 fresh whole cherries, to serve
- STEP 1 - Combine sugar and water in a large saucepan. Stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Add cherries, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer cherries and poaching syrup to a heatproof bowl and chill until cold.
- STEP 2 - To make trifle, place cake into the base of an 8-cup trifle or serving dish. Drizzle with coffee. Beat mascarpone, yoghurt, liqueur and icing sugar in a bowl until smooth and well combined. Spoon half the mascarpone mixture over the cake.
- STEP 3 - Using a slotted spoon, spoon over half the poached cherries. Top with remaining mascarpone mixture then remaining poached cherries. Chill for 3 hours (or longer if desired). Just before serving, drizzle with a little of the poaching syrup. Sprinkle with chocolate, decorate with fresh cherries and serve.