- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 50 mins
- Serves 4
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 medium or 4 baby (about 900g) fennel bulbs,
- trimmed & finely sliced (reserve fronds)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Pinch saffron threads
- 5 ripe Roma (egg) tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup fish stock
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 4 x 200g thick Atlantic salmon fillets, deboned and skinned
- STEP 1 Heat oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes until tender. Add fennel and garlic, and cook, stirring often for 5 minutes or until softening. Meanwhile, soak saffron in 1 tbs warm water for 5 minutes.
- STEP 2 Add tomatoes, stock, lemon juice, tomato paste and saffron water to fennel mixture. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat for 25-30 minutes until fennel is tender.
- STEP 3 Arrange salmon in the pan and spoon over fennel mixture. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes or until salmon is just cooked through. Sprinkle with a few reserved fennel fronds and serve.