- Prep 20 mins + cooling time
- Cook 35-40 mins
- Serves 6
- 8 blood oranges*
- 100g butter or margaine
- 1 3⁄4 cups caster sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup fine semolina
- 3⁄4 cup ground almonds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 125g blueberries
*You can use Navel or Valencia oranges when blood oranges are out of season.
- STEP 1 Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease and line a 20cm cake pan. Finely grate rind from 2 oranges then juice those oranges plus another 4 oranges. Set juice aside.
- STEP 2 Using electric beaters, cream butter or margarine and 1 cup caster sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in orange rind. Gradually beat in eggs, beating well after each addition until mixture is smooth.
- STEP 3 Combine baking powder, semolina and ground almonds. Gently fold dry ingredients, 1⁄4 cup blood orange juice and half the blueberries into butter mixture until combined. Spoon into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake for 35-40 minutes until cake is cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in pan for 10 minutes then turn onto a cake rack to slightly cool.
- STEP 4 While cake is baking, combine 11⁄2 cups blood orange juice, cinnamon stick and remaining 3⁄4 cup sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved then bring mixture to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes until syrupy. Discard cinnamon stick. Peel, remove pith and segment remaining 2 blood oranges. Add segments and half the blueberries to the syrup.
- STEP 5 Place warm cake onto a serving plate. Gently prick cake using a fine skewer and slowly pour warm syrup over cake. Spoon blood orange segments and blueberries in the centre, slice and serve.