- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 55 mins
- Serves 4 Person
- 2 medium Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 1 bunch rhubarb*, trimmed and sliced into 2cm pieces
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 125g butter, softened (+ extra for greasing)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 free-range eggs
- ¾ cup self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- icing sugar, to serve
- reduced fat vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- STEP 1 Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 6-cup (about 5cm deep) shallow baking dish with butter. Place apples and rhubarb into the dish and toss through ¼ cup caster sugar. Set aside.
- STEP 2 Using electric beaters, beat butter, remaining ½ cup sugar and vanilla together in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- STEP 3 Sift flour and baking powder over mixture. Using a large metal spoon, gently fold mixture until combined. Spoon batter over apples and rhubarb and gently smooth top. Bake for 50–55 minutes (cover loosely with a sheet of foil when top is golden) or until sponge is cooked through. Stand for 10 minutes. Dust with icing sugar and serve with ice-cream.