- Prep 30 mins
- Cook 55 mins
- Serves 8
- 125g butter, melted
- 1.5 kg Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1cm slices
- ¼ cup currants
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbs lemon zest (approx. 2 lemons)
- ⅓ cup icing sugar mixture
- ½ cup dry breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 8 sheets fresh filo pastry
- ¼ cup flaked almonds + 2 tbs extra for sprinkling almonds
- Vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- STEP 1 Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Heat a large frying over medium heat. Add 1½ tbs melted butter, apples, currants and cinnamon. Gently cook, stirring often, for 10-12 minutes until apples just start to soften. Stir in lemon zest and icing sugar and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. Set aside to cool.
- STEP 2 Combine breadcrumbs and brown sugar in a small bowl. Add ¼ cup to apple mixture. Set aside.
- STEP 3 Combine breadcrumbs and brown sugar in a small bowl. Add ¼ cup to apple mixture. Set aside.
- STEP 4 With the long edge of the pastry closest to you spoon apple mixture along the length of the filo, leaving a 5 cm border on the sides and the edge closest to you. Sprinkle almonds over apple. Fold in sides of filo and the side closest to you, then firmly roll up pastry to form a log. Place, seam-side down, onto the prepared baking tray. Brush with butter and sprinkle with the extra 2 tbs almonds. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 180°C/160°C fan-forced and bake for a further 20-25 minutes until golden. Serve hot or cold with ice-cream.