- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, chopped
- 350g lean beef mince
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons gravy powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 sheets frozen ready-rolled shortcrust pastry, partially thawed
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Tomato sauce, to serve
- Step 1 - Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add mince. Cook, breaking up mince with a wooden spoon, for 5 to 6 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Step 2 - Add garlic, zucchini and carrot. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Stir in gravy powder, tomato paste and 1/4 cup cold water. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until mixture thickens. Cool.
- Step 3 - Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Grease three 12-hole round patty pans. Using a 6.5cm cutter, cut 36 rounds from 2 pastry sheets. Cut seventy-two 1cm x 6cm strips from remaining pastry. Line holes of prepared pans with pastry rounds.
- Step 4 - Spoon level tablespoons of mince mixture into pastry rounds. Top each with 2 strips of pastry to form a cross. Brush with milk. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, swapping trays during cooking, or until pastry is golden brown and pies heated through. Stand for 1 minute. Transfer to a dish. Serve with tomato sauce.