Rhubarb and almond cobbler
- 10 stalks (550g) rhubarb, washed, cut into 4cm lengths
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat margarine spread, melted
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flaked almonds
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat milk
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Place rhubarb, sugar and 1 tablespoon cold water in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until softened. Transfer mixture to a 5 cup-capacity baking dish.
- Step 2 - Make topping Sift flour and cinnamon into a bowl. Stir in margarine until almost combined. Using fingertips, rub flour mixture to form fine breadcrumbs. Stir in coconut, sugar, half the almonds and enough milk to form soft dough.
- Step 3 - Dollop spoonfuls of cobbler mixture over rhubarb (mixture will spread). Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until topping is golden and firm to touch. Serve.