Ollie the octopus cake
- You’ll need a 33cm x 42cm cake board and toothpicks
- 2 x 340g packets golden buttercake mix or 2 quantities Homemade buttercake (see related recipe)
- 2 x 165g packets jam rollettes (see Cooking class)
- 2 quantities Buttercream icing (see below)
- Blue food colouring
- 10 x 6g packets Candy Rolls or Fizzers
- 2 large round peppermints
- 5cm piece licorice twist
- 4cm piece licorice strap
- 125g butter, softened 1 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture 1 tablespoon milk
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Lightly grease an 8 cup-capacity metal pudding steamer.
- Step 2 - Prepare packet cakes following packet directions, or homemade cakes (see related recipe). Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour or until cooked through. Stand cake in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Step 3 - Using a serrated knife, level top of cake if necessary. Place cake, cut-side down, on board to form the body. Using the picture as a guide, position rollettes around base of cake to form tentacles. Secure with toothpicks.
- Step 4 - Make icing: Using an electric mixer, beat butter in a bowl until pale. Gradually add icing sugar mixture and milk, beating constantly until combined.
- Step 5 - Tint icing blue. Spread over top and sides of cake and rollettes, adding extra icing to cake top. Dab with a palette knife to create texture. Position Candy Rolls or Fizzers on tentacles to form suckers. Cut two 5mm pieces from licorice twist. Using a little icing, attach 1 piece licorice twist to each mint. Position mints on body to form eyes.
- Step 6 - Cut licorice strap into a 2mm wide, 4cm long piece. Position licorice strap under eyes to form mouth. Serve.