- You'll need 24 toothpicks
- 3 small brown onions
- 250g beef mince
- 1/3 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup tomato chutney
- 20g butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- olive oil cooking spray
- 6 hamburger buns
- 24 baby spinach leaves, trimmed
- Step 1 - Finely chop half of 1 onion. Thinly slice remaining onions. Place chopped onion, mince, breadcrumbs, egg and 1 tablespoon chutney in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine. Roll tablespoons of mixture to make 24 balls. Flatten slightly. Place on a plate. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Step 2 - Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add sliced onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, stirring, for 5 minutes. Cook, uncovered, for 3 to 4 minutes or until onion caramelises. Cover to keep warm.
- Step 3 - Spray a large frying pan with oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook 6 patties for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until cooked through. Repeat with remaining patties.
- Step 4 - Meanwhile, preheat grill on medium. Cut each bun crossways into 3 slices. Discard middle slice (see note). Using a 4cm cutter, cut 48 rounds from remaining slices. Place rounds, cut-side up, on trays. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden.
- Step 5 - Divide spinach, remaining chutney, patties and caramelised onion between bun bases. Sandwich with bun tops. Insert 1 toothpick in each burger. Serve.