- 170g (1 cup) polenta
- 90g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 310ml (1 1/4 cups) buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 100g (1/2 cup) fresh corn kernels
- 4 spring onions (shallots), thinly sliced
- 2 long fresh red chillies, seeded, finely chopped
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Chilli sauce, to serve
- Step 1 - Combine the polenta, flour, baking powder and a large pinch of salt in a bowl. Add the buttermilk and egg and stir to combine. Stir in the corn, spring onion and chilli.
- Step 2 - Add oil to a large saucepan to reach a depth of 4cm. Heat the oil to 160°C over high heat (when the oil is ready, a cube of bread will turn golden brown in 30 seconds). Cook tablespoonfuls of polenta mixture in 3 batches, turning occasionally with a slotted spoon, for 2-3 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Reheat the oil between batches. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Step 3 - Season hush puppies with salt. Serve with the chilli sauce.