Fresh summer vegetable salad
- 4 limes
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 360g thin green beans, trimmed
- 2 ears fresh corn, kernels removed (about 1 1/2 cups kernels)
- 1 yellow, red or orange capsicum, seeded, diced
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, quartered lengthways, thinly sliced crossways into wedges
- 350g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 fresh long red chilli, very thinly sliced into rounds
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, diced
- Step 1 - To make vinaigrette, grate 1 tablespoon of the lime peel into a medium bowl, then squeeze 1/4 cup of juice from the limes into the bowl. Whisk in shallot, then whisk in oil. Season to taste with salt.
- Step 2 - To prepare salad, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add beans and cook for 1-2 mins, or until bright green and crisp-tender. Drain and transfer the vegetables to a baking tray and refrigerate until cold. Cut beans into 1.5cm pieces.
- Step 3 - To serve, in a large, wide shallow bowl, toss the beans, corn, capsicum, cucumbers, tomatoes, spring onions, chilli, and half the coriander with enough vinaigrette to coat. Season salad to taste with salt. Sprinkle avocado and remaining coriander over and serve immediately.