- 40g butter
- 3 red apples, cored, cut into thick wedges
- 75g (1/3 cup) demerara sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) orange juice
- 4 eggs
- 125ml (1/2 cup) pouring cream
- 2 tbs demerara sugar
- 4 tsp butter
- 6 thick slices bread
- Step 1 - Make the apples: To make caramelised apple, melt 40g butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add apples. Cook, turning, for 5 minutes or until golden. Add sugar and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until dissolved. Stir in orange juice. Bring to the boil. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until the mixture thickens.
- Step 2 - Whip the batter: Use a fork to lightly whisk eggs in a bowl. Add pouring cream and demerara sugar. Whisk to combine.
- Step 3 - Cook the French toast: Melt 2 tsp butter in a clean large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat until foaming. Dip 3 thick slices bread, 1 at a time, in egg mixture and add to the pan. Cook for 1 minute each side or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with another 2 tsp butter, another 3 thick slices bread and remaining egg mixture. Halve diagonally. Top with apple mixture. Dust with icing sugar to serve.