Dark chocolate custard
- 1 cup milk
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthways
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- Step 1 - Combine milk and cream in a medium saucepan. Scrape vanilla seeds from bean. Discard bean. Add vanilla seeds to milk mixture. Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 5 minutes or until hot (do not boil). Remove saucepan from heat.
- Step 2 - Whisk egg yolks, cornflour and sugar in a large heatproof bowl until combined. Gradually pour hot milk mixture over egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Step 3 - Return mixture to saucepan. Add chocolate. Heat over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes or until custard starts to bubble and coats the back of the spoon (do not allow custard to boil). Serve warm or cold.