Dark chocolate and nut meringue torte
- 100g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (30g) walnut halves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (40g) pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (45g) pinenuts
- 1/2 cup (100g) caster sugar
- 2 eggwhites
- 1 x 300ml carton double cream
- Cocoa powder, to dust
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 120°C. Grease and line base of a 20cm springform pan with baking paper.
- Step 2 - Combine chocolate, walnuts, pistachios and pinenuts and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the sugar in a large bowl.
- Step 3 - Use an electric mixer to whisk the eggwhites in a clean, dry bowl until firm peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and whisk until dissolved. Add chocolate mixture and use a metal spoon to gently fold.
- Step 4 - Spoon into the prepared pan; smooth surface. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until dry and crisp to touch. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Step 5 - Carefully transfer the torte onto a serving platter. Spoon the cream over the top of the torte. Dust with cocoa powder and serve.