Crispy fish tacos with mango salsa
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (pimenton)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups (150g) panko breadcrumbs (see notes)
- 500g flathead fillets, cut into 20 strips
- Sunflower oil, to deep-fry
- 10 mini flour tortillas
- 1/4 iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 200g sour cream
- Hot sauce (such as Tabasco) or finely chopped long red chilli, to serve
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander, plus extra leaves to serve
- Juice of 1 lime, plus wedges to serve
- Step 1 - Combine flour and spices in a bowl and season. Place the egg and breadcrumbs in separate bowls. Dip the fish pieces first in the flour, then the egg and finally coat well in the breadcrumbs. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Step 2 - For the mango salsa, combine all the ingredients, then season and set aside.
- Step 3 - Preheat the oven to 150°C. Half-fill a large pan or deep-fryer with oil and heat to 190°C (a cube of bread will turn golden in 30 seconds when oil is hot enough). In 4 batches, deep-fry fish for 1 minute or until golden and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Transfer to a baking tray and keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining fish.
- Step 4 - Enclose tortillas in foil and warm in the oven as you cook the final batch of fish.
- Step 5 - Top tortillas with lettuce, fish, mango salsa, sour cream, hot sauce or chilli and extra coriander. Serve with lime wedges.