Crispy apple pie pillows
- 2 large granny smith apples
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1/2 x 270g packet wonton wrappers
- Sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- Icing sugar mixture, for dusting
- Step 1 - Peel and core apples. Cut into 2cm cubes. Place apple, cinnamon, sugar and 2 tablespoons cold water in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes or until apple is just tender.
- Step 2 - Blend cornflour and 2 teaspoons cold water in a small bowl, stirring until smooth. Add to apple mixture. Stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute or until mixture thickens. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Step 3 - Place 1 wonton wrapper on a flat surface. Spoon 1 level tablespoon of cooled apple mixture onto centre of wrapper. Brush edges with a little water. Top with another wonton wrapper, to enclose filling. Press edges together firmly to seal (see notes). Repeat with the remaining wonton wrappers and apple mixture.
- Step 4 - Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Deep-fry apple pillows, 2 at a time, for 30 seconds each side or until deep golden. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towel to drain. Cool for 10 minutes (see notes). Dust pillows with icing sugar. Serve.