Classic chocolate mousse
- 200g dark cooking chocolate, finely chopped
- 25g butter
- 3 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250ml (1 cup) thickened cream
- Step 1 - Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Step 2 - Use a metal spoon to stir the egg yolks and vanilla into the chocolate mixture. Don't overstir, or the chocolate can harden.
- Step 3 - Use an electric beater to beat cream in a bowl until soft peaks form - the cream should just cling to the beaters when you lift them.
- Step 4 - Gently fold half the cream into the chocolate mixture until it's almost combined. Fold in the remaining cream.
- Step 5 - Use an electric beater to beat egg whites in a dry, clean bowl until soft peaks form – they’ll curl over slightly when you lift the beaters.
- Step 6 - Fold half the egg white into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining egg white. Place in glasses. Cover. Place in fridge for 3 hours to set.