Chunky beef cottage pie
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1kg beef chuck steak, diced
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 175g packet Tuscan meatballs recipe base
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 600g orange sweet potato, peeled, chopped
- 550g lady christl potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 30g butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- Step 1 - Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based, flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in batches, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Step 2 - Heat remaining oil in dish. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add carrot and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until just starting to brown. Add garlic. Cook, stirring for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in recipe base and stock. Bring to the boil. Return beef to dish. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour 30 minutes. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Step 3 - Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Cook sweet potato and potato in a large saucepan of boiling water for 12 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return to pan. Mash over low heat until smooth. Stir in butter and milk. Season with pepper.
- Step 4 - Transfer beef mixture to an 8-cup capacity ovenproof dish. Spoon mash on top. Bake for 45 minutes or until top is golden. Stand for 5 minutes. Serve.