Butter chicken vol-au-vents
- 5cm and a 3.5cm round pastry cutters.
- 1 sheet Careme puff pastry, just thawed
- 2 teaspoons ghee
- 1/2 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 200g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1/4 cup butter chicken simmer sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Coriander sprigs, to serve
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 220C or 200C fan-forced.
- Step 2 - Cut twenty 5cm rounds from pastry (return pastry to freezer if it becomes too soft to handle). Cut 3.5cm rounds from remaining pastry cercles. Lightly brush edges with water. Place external rounds on top of pastry cercles and place each stack in a 12 whole muffin pan (the muffin pan avoids the pastry tipping over too much). Use the pastry off cuts to make cheese puffs (place on another tray lined with baking paper. Brush with lightly beaten egg and sprinkle with grated cheddar and sesame seeds).
- Step 3 - Bake vol-au-vent cases for 15 minutes, gently pushing back down centre with the rounded end of a wooden spoon and straightening pastry cases every 5 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Cool in pan.
- Step 4 - Meanwhile, heat ghee in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes. Add simmer sauce and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked. Add juice and season.
- Step 5 - Fill pastry cases with chicken mixture. Serve topped with coriander.