Blueberry swirl ice cream
- You will need an electric mixer and a food processor for this recipe.
- 3 cups (750ml) Coles Brand Australian Thickened Cream
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 8 Coles Brand Australian Free Range Egg yolks
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (150g) fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar, extra
- Waffle cones, to serve
- Step 1 - Combine the cream, milk and vanilla in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer.
- Step 2 - Use an electric mixer to beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale. Gradually stir in cream mixture, in batches, until combined. Pour into a clean saucepan and place over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 10 mins or until custard coats the back of a spoon. Set aside for 10 mins to cool.
- Step 3 - Pour into a shallow metal container. Cover with foil and place in the freezer for 3 hours or until firm.
- Step 4 - Meanwhile, combine the blueberries and extra sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until the blueberries release their juices and the mixture thickens slightly. Set aside to cool completely.
- Step 5 - Roughly break up ice-cream with a metal spoon. Transfer to a food processor and process until smooth. Return half the ice-cream to the metal container and add half the blueberry mixture. Gently swirl to create a marbled effect. Repeat with remaining ice-cream and blueberry mixture. Cover with foil and place in the freezer for 3 hours or until firm. Serve in waffle cones.