Bacon and cheese croquettes
- 4 rashers middle bacon, trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 cups cold mashed potato (see related recipe)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 40g mozzarella cheese, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- Azalea grapeseed oil, for shallow-frying
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Step 1 - Heat a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook bacon for 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp. Drain on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Step 2 - Combine mashed potato, egg yolk, onion, bacon and 1/4 cup flour in a large bowl. Roll heaped tablespoons of mixture into 20 balls. Push 1 cheese cube into the centre of each ball. Mould mixture around cheese to enclose.
- Step 3 - Place remaining flour on a plate. Place breadcrumbs on another plate. Whisk egg and milk together in a shallow bowl. Roll croquettes in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg mixture. Coat in breadcrumbs.
- Step 4 - Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook croquettes, in batches, turning, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Serve with salad.