Apple, Sultana and Cinnamon Scones
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 90g butter, chilled, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1 small granny smith apple, peeled, grated
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- Reduced-fat margarine spread, to serve
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Step 2 - Process flour and cinnamon for 30 seconds or until just combined. Add butter. Process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs (see note 1). Transfer to a large bowl.
- Step 3 - Make a well in centre of mixture. Add milk, apple and sultanas. Stir mixture with a butter knife until just combined. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently, until mixture comes together and forms a dough. Set aside for 5 minutes to rest.
- Step 4 - Shape dough into a 4cm thick disc. Using a 6cm cutter, cut rounds from dough (see note 2). Place rounds, touching, on prepared tray. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and scones sound hollow when tapped. Cover with a clean tea towel (see tip). Set aside for 5 minutes. Serve scones warm with margarine spread.