Warm Chicken, Green beans and Mushroom Salad
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3cm piece ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 35g (1/4 cup) sesame seeds
- 80ml (1/3 cup) mirin (see top tip)
- 60ml (1/4 cup) soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tbs peanut oil
- 100g Swiss brown mushrooms
- 150g oyster mushrooms
- 400g green beans
- 150g snow peas
- 1/2 bunch chives
- Step 1 :Place 2L warm water in a large saucepan. Add chicken and place over high heat. Peel and thinly slice ginger and garlic, add to pan, then season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and bring mixture to a gentle simmer. Cook for 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Step 2 :Meanwhile, to make dressing, place sesame seeds in a large frying pan over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until light golden. Transfer to a large bowl, reserving pan.
- Step 3 : Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken and cool for 5 minutes; keep stock in pan at a simmer. Add mirin, soy sauce, sesame oil and 60ml (1/4 cup) stock to sesame seeds.
- Step 4 : Heat 1 tbs peanut oil in reserved pan over high heat. Add Swiss brown mushrooms and cook, tossing, for 4 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Heat remaining 2 tsp peanut oil, add oyster mushrooms, then cook, tossing, for 1 minute or until light golden. Add to plate.
- Step 5 :Trim beans and snow peas, then, using a bean slicer or knife, thinly slice lengthwise. Add to simmering stock and cook for 30 seconds or until tender. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Reserve stock for another use.
- Step 6 : Shred chicken, then add to dressing with mushrooms, beans and snow peas. Gently toss to combine.
- Step 7 : Divide salad among bowls. Cut chives into 2cm lengths. Scatter over to serve.