Vegan grilled eggplant, zucchini and tofu stacks with cashews
- 180g (1/2 cup) raw cashews, soaked in cold water for 3 hours
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 1/2 tablespoons water
- 300g purple sweet potato, peeled, cut into 12 rounds
- 2 zucchini, trimmed, cut lengthways into 8 slices
- 1 small (350g) eggplant, trimmed, cut into 4 thick slices, lengthwise
- 250g firm tofu, cut into 8 slices
- 250ml (1 cup) tomato passata
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, plus basil leaves, to serve
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 100g mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place the cashews, lemon juice and mustard in a blender. Blend on high, gradually adding 2 1/2 tablespoons of the water, until cashews are smooth and a thick cream cheese-like consistency. Set aside.
- Step 2 - Place the sweet potato in a heatproof dish with the remaining water. Cover and microwave on High for 1 1/2-2 minutes or until almost tender. Drain.
- Step 3 - Heat a chargrill or barbecue over high heat. Spray the zucchini, eggplant, tofu and sweet potato lightly with oil. Grill for 2 minutes each side or until lightly charred and tender.