Vanilla mascarpone & strawberry profiteroles
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 80g butter, at room temperature, chopped
- 150g (1 cup) plain flour, sifted
- 3 eggs, at room temperature, lightly whisked
- 250g ctn mascarpone
- 60ml (1/4 cup) thickened cream
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar mixture
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 250g punnet strawberries, washed, hulled, thinly sliced
- Icing sugar mixture, to dust
- Step 1 - Make profiteroles: Place the water and butter in a saucepan. Bring just to the boil. Remove from heat and use a wooden spoon to beat in flour until combined.
- Step 2 - Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture forms a ball and comes away from side of pan. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- Step 3 - Gradually add egg, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition, until the dough is thick and glossy.
- Step 4 - Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Place heaped dessertspoonfuls of dough, about 3cm apart, on trays.
- Step 5 - Use wet hands to pat down any peaks of dough. Sprinkle trays with water to create steam. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Step 6 - Turn off oven. Use a knife to pierce the base of each profiterole. Place profiteroles in oven for 20 minutes to dry out. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Step 7 - For the filling, whisk the mascarpone, cream, icing sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Step 8 - Use a small serrated knife to cut each profiterole in half. Divide the mascarpone mixture among the profiterole bases and top with the strawberry. Top with the remaining profiterole halves. Dust with icing sugar.