Vanilla cinnamon bread and butter pudding
- 2 cups pure cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 5 eggs
- 60g unsalted butter, softened
- 8 slices spicy fruit bread
- Maple syrup, to serve
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease an 8 cup-capacity ovenproof dish.
- Step 2 - Combine cream, milk, sugar and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium heat. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean. Add seeds and bean to cream mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture just simmers (don't boil). Remove from heat. Set aside for 10 minutes for flavours to develop. Strain mixture through a fine sieve over a large heatproof jug. Remove and discard cinnamon and vanilla bean. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Step 3 - Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in cream mixture until combined.
- Step 4 - Spread butter over each side of bread slices. Cut each into 2 triangles. Place bread, overlapping slightly, in prepared dish. Pour over three-quarters of the cream mixture. Set aside for 15 minutes for bread to absorb mixture. Pour over remaining cream mixture. Place in a large roasting pan. Pour boiling water into pan until halfway up sides of dish.
- Step 5 - Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until pudding is golden and just set. Carefully lift dish from water. Stand for 5 minutes. Serve with maple syrup.