Tuscan rabbit with pancetta and rosemary
- 1.6kg whole rabbit (see note), jointed
- 2 tablespoons plain flour, seasoned
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 6 slices flat pancetta (see note), chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) white wine
- 1/3 cup (80ml) balsamic vinegar
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can cherry tomatoes (see note)
- 2 rosemary sprigs, leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Cooked soft polenta, to serve
- Step 1 - Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Step 2 - Dust rabbit in flour, shaking off excess. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a frypan over medium heat and cook rabbit, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Place in a baking dish. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil and cook fennel, onion, pancetta and garlic, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until soft and golden. Add wine and half the vinegar, and simmer for 3-4 minutes until reduced by half. Add tomatoes and rosemary, season and bring to the boil. Pour over rabbit, cover and cook for 1 1/4 hours or until rabbit is tender.
- Step 3 - Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar and scatter with parsley. Serve with polenta.