- 6 eggwhites
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (125g) almond meal
- 500g chocolate halva, chopped (see note)
- 150g pitted dates, chopped
- Grated zest of 2 oranges
- 120g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60ml) brandy
- 2 tablespoons edible dried rose petals (see note)
- 2 tablespoons slivered pistachios (see note)
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Small mint sprigs, to serve
- 100ml pure (thin) cream
- 150g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Step 1 - Preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease and line a 24cm springform cake pan with baking paper. Beat eggwhites with electric beaters until stiff peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating constantly, then beat for 5 minutes or until thick and glossy.
- Step 2 - Fold in almond meal, halva, dates, zest and chocolate until just combined. Spoon mixture into the cake pan, then bake for 1 hour 20 minutes or until dry and firm to the touch (the cake will still be moist in the centre when tested with a skewer).
- Step 3 - While hot, poke several holes in the top of the cake with a skewer. Pour brandy over cake, then cool completely in the pan.
- Step 4 - Meanwhile, for the glaze, place cream and chocolate in a pan over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and stand for 30 minutes or until a thick pouring consistency.
- Step 5 - Remove the cooled cake from the pan, transfer to a platter and pour over the chocolate glaze, allowing it to drip down the sides. Decorate with rose petals, nuts, pomegranate seeds (if using) and mint.