- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 125ml (1/2 cup) white wine
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- Step 1 - Cut the fennel lengthways into six wedges. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the fennel, turning once, for 5 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Step 2 - Heat the remaining oil in the pan over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the wine and cook for 1 minute or until the wine reduces slightly. Add the tomato and fennel, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 25 minutes or until the fennel is tender and the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.