Tamarind and Orange Roast Duck with Warm Pear Salad
- 1 (about 1.2kg) whole fresh duck, neck removed
- 1/2 orange, cut into 6 wedges
- Pinch of salt
- 80ml (1/3 cup) honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons tamarind concentrate
- 4 ripe pears
- 35g (1/3 cup) walnut halves
- 80g baby Asian greens
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice, extra
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 220°C. Wash the duck inside and out under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towel. Use a metal skewer to pierce the breast all over. Place orange wedges in the cavity. Use unwaxed white kitchen string to tie the legs together. Season duck all over with salt. Place the duck on its side in a large roasting pan.
- Step 2 - Roast duck in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and drain excess fat from pan. Turn duck onto the other side and roast for a further 20 minutes. Remove from oven and drain excess fat from pan. Reduce oven temperature to 190°C.
- Step 3 - Meanwhile, combine honey, orange juice and tamarind in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 2 minutes or until slightly reduced. Remove from heat.
- Step 4 - Brush duck all over with honey mixture. Turn duck breast-side up in the pan. Arrange pears around duck and roast for a further 1 hour, basting with honey mixture every 15 minutes, or until pears are tender, the duck is brown all over and the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a skewer. Remove from oven.
- Step 5 - While the duck is roasting, place the walnuts in a small frying pan and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes or until toasted. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Coarsely chop.
- Step 6 - Cut the pears in half. Cut each half into 4 equal wedges. Place in a large bowl, along with the baby Asian greens. Whisk together the extra orange juice, soy sauce, oil and garlic in a small bowl. Taste and season with salt.
- Step 7 - Drizzle the pear mixture with orange dressing and gently toss to combine. Arrange over a large serving platter. Remove string from the duck's legs. Use sharp kitchen scissors to cut the duck along either side of the backbone. Discard backbone. Cut each duck half into 3 pieces. Arrange over the pear salad and sprinkle with walnuts. Serve immediately.