Strawberry sponge cream
- 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) water
- 250g punnet strawberries, washed, hulled, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau liqueur
- 300ml ctn thickened cream
- 45g (1/4 cup) pure icing sugar
- 250g ctn light sour cream
- 250g savoiardi (sponge finger biscuits)
- Strawberries, extra, washed, hulled, thinly sliced, to serve
- Step 1 - Stir sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Stir in half the strawberry. Set aside to cool. Process in a food processor until smooth. Strain to remove the seeds. Discard seeds. Place strawberry mixture in a shallow dish and stir in the Cointreau.
- Step 2 - Use an electric beater to beat the cream and icing sugar in a bowl until soft peaks form. Fold in the sour cream.
- Step 3 - Dip half the biscuits into strawberry mixture and place over base of a serving bowl. Top with half the remaining sliced strawberry. Spoon over half the cream mixture. Repeat with remaining biscuits, strawberry mixture, sliced strawberry and cream mixture. Place in fridge for 6 hours or overnight to develop the flavours. Top with extra strawberry.