Sticky pear & maple cake
- 200g packet dried pears, chopped
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 80g butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/3 cups gluten-free self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup cream
- 20g butter
- 2 extra large eggs, beaten
- Step 1 - Pre heat oven to 180C /160C fan-forced. Place pears, currants and 1 cup water in a small pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Add bicarbonate of soda, allow to fizz for a couple of minutes then stir in butter to melt. Add sugar, syrup and then eggs once mixture has cooled a little. Stir in flour and spices until smooth.
- Step 2 - Spoon into baking paper lined 20cm square cake pan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Stand 5 minutes in pan then remove, slice and serve warm with maple cream.
- Step 3 - Maple cream: Melt butter in a small pan, slowly add cream, then maple syrup, stirring continuously for several minutes until mixture starts to thicken. Serve over cake.