Steamed pudding with caramelised orange
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups (250g) self-raising flour, sifted
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 2 oranges, unpeeled, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 cups (440g) caster sugar
- Thickened cream, to serve
- Step 1 - Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 1.25L pudding basin.
- Step 2 - Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer until thick and pale. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in the flour and zest, followed by the milk until the mixture is a soft dropping consistency.
- Step 3 - Pour the batter into the pudding basin. Layer a sheet of foil on top of a sheet of baking paper, then fold a pleat through the centre. Use to cover the pudding, then tie with string. Place in a roasting pan, then fill the pan with enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the basin. Bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes.
- Step 4 - Meanwhile, place the orange slices in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then drain. Repeat this blanching process twice. Place orange slices and sugar in a saucepan and add 2 cups (500ml) water. Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then cook for 10-12 minutes or until the orange slices are tender and translucent. Set aside to cool in the syrup.
- Step 5 - Turn the pudding out onto a platter and top with caramelised orange slices, then drizzle with syrup and cream, to serve.