Steamed coconut puddings with caramelised bananas
- Melted butter, to grease
- 80g butter, at room temperature
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime rind
- 2 eggs
- 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 70g (2/3 cup) desiccated coconut
- 3 firm ripe bananas, peeled, thinly sliced
- 55g (1/4 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) thickened cream
- Step 1 - Brush four 185ml (3/4-cup) capacity heatproof ramekins with melted butter to lightly grease. Line the bases with non-stick baking paper.
- Step 2 - Add enough water to a wok to reach a depth of 5cm and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium.
- Step 3 - Meanwhile, use an electric beater to beat together the butter, caster sugar, vanilla and lime rind in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, until combined. Add the flour and coconut, and use a metal spoon to fold until just combined. Spoon mixture evenly among ramekins and place in a 30cm-diameter bamboo steamer. Place steamer over the wok of simmering water (make sure base of steamer doesn't touch the water). Steam, covered, for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Remove from heat. Cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Step 4 - Remove steamer from the wok and discard the water. Wipe wok dry with paper towel. Heat wok over medium-high heat. Add the bananas and brown sugar, and gently stir-fry for 1-2 minutes or until sugar caramelises. Add the cream and gently toss until just combined and heated through. Remove from heat.
- Step 5 - Turn steamed puddings onto serving plates. Top with caramelised bananas and serve immediately.