Salmon burgers with wasabi mayo
- 4 (about 200g each) skinless salmon fillets, coarsely chopped
- 4 fresh kaffir lime leaves, centre veins removed, finely shredded
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 125g (1/2 cup) good-quality whole-egg mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 2 green shallots, ends trimmed, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Vegetable oil, to grease
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- 4 wholemeal buns, split, toasted
- 4 butter lettuce leaves, washed, dried
- 1 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- Step 1 - Place the salmon in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Add lime leaves and ginger and use your hands to mix until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Divide salmon mixture into 4 equal portions and shape into 10cm patties. Transfer to a plate. Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Step 2 - Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise, wasabi, shallot and lime juice in a bowl. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Step 3 - Brush a chargrill pan with oil to grease. Heat over high heat. Add the salmon patties and cook for 2 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking.
- Step 4 - Use a vegetable peeler to slice the cucumber lengthways into thin ribbons. Divide bread-roll bases among plates. Spread with half the mayo. Top with lettuce, patties and cucumber. Add a dollop of the remaining mayo and onion. Serve with remaining bread-roll halves.